|photo courtesy marthastewart.com|
Here are some Math Ideas for you while you are celebrating this weekend!
- Arrange the pumpkins by weight, by height, by color (lightest to darkest)
- Estimate how much every pumpkin weighs
- Ask your child how much they weigh as a frame of reference, then ask them to estimate how much the pumpkin weighs
- Weigh each pumpkin (have your child weigh themselves first, then weigh themselves holding the pumpkin and subtract to get the pumpkin's weight) Ask how close their estimate was to the measurement.
- Measure the circumference of every pumpkin and after that the height and width of every one.
- Have your kids sort the candy in various ways, size, type, brand, etc. Then ask them to create ratios.
- ex. Chocolate Candy : Non-Chocolate Candy, or Boxes of Candy : Bags of Candy